{{vm.favoriteDealerName}}
Call Us
Call Us
Go to map
Find Us
Go to map
Find Us

Operating Policy

  1. Payment: A 70% down payment is required to place an order. The remaining 30% balance is due at the time of installation. Payments can be paid cash, check, or card. 
  2. Delivery & Installation: For most Hunter Douglas products, standard orders are typically shipped within 3-4 weeks. Specialty shaped orders & real wood shutters can take 8 weeks or longer. We cannot guarantee ship dates. When we receive your order, we will contact you directly to schedule an installation appointment during our regular installation hours. *Lead times around holidays may vary.
  3. Cancellations or Changes: Can only be made until midnight of the 3rd business day after the customer has approved the order. All sales are final after this period of time.
  4. Warranty: Our products come with a manufacturer’s limited lifetime warranty. These warranties vary depending upon the manufacturer and product. For Hunter Douglas products, lift cords are not covered for the lifetime of your window treatment but are covered for 7 years from the installation date. Lift cords can easily be replaced for a nominal fee outside of warranty. Two Blind Guys is happy to offer a free in-home warranty which includes an in-home service call for up to 30 days from the installation date. After this period expires, non-warranted service calls will be subject to a $65.00 trip fee plus the cost of repair or service. For any warranty related questions or issues, please contact one of our showroom representatives.
  5. Insufficient Funds: All returned checks are subject to a $45.00 service fee. 

Operating Policy

  1. Payment: A 70% down payment is required to place an order. The remaining 30% balance is due at the time of installation. Payments can be paid cash, check, or card. 
  2. Delivery & Installation: For most Hunter Douglas products, standard orders are typically shipped within 3-4 weeks. Specialty shaped orders & real wood shutters can take 8 weeks or longer. We cannot guarantee ship dates. When we receive your order, we will contact you directly to schedule an installation appointment during our regular installation hours. *Lead times around holidays may vary.
  3. Cancellations or Changes: Can only be made until midnight of the 3rd business day after the customer has approved the order. All sales are final after this period of time.
  4. Warranty: Our products come with a manufacturer’s limited lifetime warranty. These warranties vary depending upon the manufacturer and product. For Hunter Douglas products, lift cords are not covered for the lifetime of your window treatment but are covered for 7 years from the installation date. Lift cords can easily be replaced for a nominal fee outside of warranty. Two Blind Guys is happy to offer a free in-home warranty which includes an in-home service call for up to 30 days from the installation date. After this period expires, non-warranted service calls will be subject to a $65.00 trip fee plus the cost of repair or service. For any warranty related questions or issues, please contact one of our showroom representatives.
  5. Insufficient Funds: All returned checks are subject to a $45.00 service fee. 
Jump down